|All clergy in The United Methodist Church are required to have "regular, up-to-date sexual ethics training to be in good standing for appointment" (BOR 2012, p. 140). This page is designed for the trainers who lead these workshops. If you are a sexual ethics trainer, would like to become a trainer, or would like to contact a trainer, please make an inquiry about our Sexual Ethics Trainers’ Network.
RESOURCES: The basic curriculum for clergy boundaries trainings is Healthy Boundaries 101 (formerly called "A Sacred Trust") by the FaithTrust Institute. For subsequent clergy trainings, try Healthy Boundaries 201 also by the FaithTrust Institute. Forthcoming, December 2013, is a book from Fortress Press, Professional Sexual Ethics: A Holistic Ministry Approach, designed for continuing education for clergy.
Here are some other resources that may be useful when planning your conference's training event for clergy.
- UM Sexual Ethics "fact sheet" for distribution at annual conferences
- Sermons by Bishop James Swanson and Rev. Traci West, as well as plenary presentations from 2011 Do No Harm event in Houston, Texas. See http://learn.umc.org/, "Leadership."
- Parts I, II, and IX from "Handling Sexual Misconduct Complaints: A Handbook for United Methodist Bishops and Cabinets," General Commission on the Status and Role of Women, 2011.
- "The Power Trip," by Jonah Lehrer, Wall Street Journal, Aug 14, 2010.
- "Clergy Ethics," by Bishop Hee-Soo Jung.
- "Fiduciary Duty and Sacred Trust," by Darryl W. Stephens, Living the Sacred Trust, Section II, General Board of Higher Education and Ministry, 2010.
- "Ten Myths about Clergy Sexual Misconduct" by Darryl W. Stephens
- Sessions 36-38 on clergy boundaries (2 hrs each session): http://www.bwcumc.org/content/discipler-groups-curriculum
- Bibliography of books and other resources
Send your resource recommendations to GCSRW.